Thursday 10 November 2011

54th La Biennale di Venezia - Illumination [1]

Wow Venice Biennale as the Olympics in contemporary art universe, and I, finally being able to check out WAS IST DAS!?

Due to there are too, way too many exhibitions and pavilions in Venice, I'm going to use a kind of Twitter style way to have a brief view of some pavilion in Venice. But I do have some beloved one which will take up more space. So here we go. 

There are two parts of location where this exhibition happening - Giardini and Aresenale and another part called "In the city" which means countries not yet made it to the major countries.  Somehow I found it really funny about the nationalism within this Grand Art Exhibition.


Start from the one that I like the most,

Luxembourg pavilion - http://www.feipel-bechameil.lu/
Luxemburg Pavilion © Martine Feipel & Jean Bechameil, "Le Cercle Fermé,"
With the twisted space and sculpture, I was draw into a fantastical world by the white colour and numberless reflections by the mirror, which extend the whole space.  The usage of white unreal white colour in a reflective space create a definitely kind of torn world which Alice might want to get out of it as soon as possible.  Be careful you might feel sick there though.

White is a strange colour besides reminding me of pure/ hospital/ or exhibition space, I also thought of wedding dress and somehow in Japan, the new-wed bride always have to be covered by a layer of white powder. On fashion I felt white on white is absolutely stunning match and only people who has strong character or fascial feature will be able to outline with personality.
Tilda Swinton as White witch 

No comments:

Post a Comment