Wednesday 11 January 2012

Interview of Judith Butler

Just finished this short interview of Judith Butler, a feminist, philosopher talking about the trouble of gender.
I really enjoyed about when she quoted from Simone de Beauvoir that we aren't born as a women, we become a women. During her book launch in France, she talked about that in her view, gender is always a failure and everybody fails, but it is a good thing that we fails because the stereotypes of gender can be said as an accumulated affect of social relationship that has been naturalised over time.
She also questioned this set value of marriage suppose to be performed by two people, and why two? Why couldn't there be more people to raise a family, who does they have to be two?

And how does the word "Lesbian" make her feel condemned when the word occurred to her.  Will this condemn me to social exclusion?

These questions about how we perform our gender in order to meet the expectation of the society has kept coming back to her study, just at the moment when I was trying to figure if there will be any answer appears in the future, she said:" I don't have a system, I don't try to reconcile my various works to each other, that doesn't interest me.  I don't think they are contradictory, I think they are process.... It's not a system, it's a process that it's on its way.





No comments:

Post a Comment