Wednesday 14 March 2012

Writing Process4: Thinking About these voices

     I can still remember vividly how irritated it is for me to read English translated novel.  I basically hate, deeply hated how these people writes.  They don't go straight to the point, the way they perceived their environment is shallow and borin, they failed to describe how birds sings and the difference between these melodies.  Basically, I think these translated-novels are the most boring books that I can see in the bookstore.  

     Their slang is mostly derived from life experience, but lack of historical stories as Mandarin.  The depth of language is because its lost of history.  Mandarin, as it has long history since it has first invented (Not sure about the one china uses though.), every words and characters contains how the ancient people perceived the world, how it changes through different dynasties, what type of aesthetic at then was valued by the Royal dynasty, and evolve into the language that Taiwanese uses now.  Mandarin writers, ancient or modern, past or now, most of them would know the importance of including the unspeakable in the written words.  And I think that is the beauty about Mandarin.  You can have a thousand way to describe flowers and each of them related to a story behinds them, which makes itself an connecting dot itself  that never stops expending. 

     Ever since I started to read in English, I was drawn to how expressive and nowness this language could be.  I felt this is a language for confession, for explanatory, for puns and witty humour to exist.  Although it is not as figurative as Mandarin is, but people who has a little bit studies in Graphic design would know, the typography in Mandarin is never possible to be clean and neat as the English one.  A language seems to be able for you to open to more experiment, more affront, more about what happens now. 

     I don't know if I can actually handle the language that well to write an fiction, but I thought maybe it is a chance for me to finally really writing what I want to say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment