Wednesday 19 October 2011

Days of Being Wild (1990) 阿飛正傳







     Days of Being Wild is the first part of the trilogy ( Days of Being Wild, In the Mood for Love, 2046) from Wang Kar- Wei.
The main actor, Yuddy committed suicide Leslie Cheung (張國榮) on 1st April, 2004.  This film and its story line was often being mentioned when the media tried to find out his intention for committing suicide.

     I love the humid weather portrait within this film, however, that's the least part of Asia that I miss.  I think Wang Kar-Wei's film has a lot of back figure, lots of gazing from behind, each time will be another picture.  Somehow I found his movie full of poetry and humid, and I can only find that in Asian  film, wouldn't say that I ve been a cinephilia though.

     I was viewing the reviews from Hong Kong residents, when this film was out in the cinema, people weren't stop cursing, 70s Hong Kong. Like Giuseppe tornatore pictured in "Cinema Paradiso" people were aroused, evoked by the image shown on the screen, being encouraged or effected by the holistic emotion within the room, the cinema.  
      Hong Kong has been a very weird place for me, people were running around, and they all shouting at each other, I'm not very welcome when I was speaking chinese to them, in taxi, in the restaurant, on the street, at a bar.  Once I told them either I am from Taiwan, or when I start to speak english, tea will serve to the table without you doing any effort to calling the waiter. People look at you in the eyes when they speak to you. And that's my memory to Hong Kong.

    Mandarin or Asian language has a particular feature, and that is the most important message was always hidden between what has been mentioned, and what has been asked.  Same as the acting, using smile or hug to express happiness is like acting, too dramatic, unreal.  You have to look into when the eye moves and how many times the eye lashes vibrates.  With men, that when they turn their head away.

     There is a scene that I particularly being fascinated, I love Leslie Cheung's movement, it took him a while to come out, and I think maybe the decision also become another reason he decided to free himself from the top floor of the building.


No comments:

Post a Comment