Friday 28 October 2011

DUCK HEAD, DUCK AND HEAD, THAT IS.

The duck that I made in casting room photo by Boco


I just had tutorial with Neil, and we had around like 45 mins or so to talk about my plan towards my thesis.

I started with the book that Neil suggested me last time "Folk devils and Moral Panics" by Stanley Cohen.   and also with my recent develop interest in the novel "Frankenstein."  My concept is to use Frankenstein as a structure for my thesis/ novel intervention.  
through the novel and the collaboration, I want to question/ examine how the contemporary art world being shaping and the moral ethic within it.  

Frankenstein was set up in industrialisation background, when people focus on Sciences and trying to mechanising everything and so Shelly create such allegory to warn that it might ending up generating a monster.  I though of what happened now with the booming senario of creative industry.  

Frankenstein as the original novel ---> by copy/ padary/ -----> duplicate 
  • an assemblage/ collage of Flesh and different things that actually doesn't fit together. 
  • A warning for people/ monstrous 
Neil also suggested me besides to read the novel, I can also start to read some of the summery from Yorknote so that can help me to be able to see more on the structure rather being caught up by the small/ trivial plots.


Rewriting/ Folk telling/ hear-say Process 

     A rewriting process is also one of my concern since I have no intention to just quote Shelly's story and then giving an example about what happened in the contemporary art world.  NO NO NO!

so this is what i'm gonna do and what neil suggested me.

  • Donalf barthelme rewrite the folk tale "Snow White" which apparently a good writing of it. His writing has the self aware writing style thus makes you aware that you are reading it, you are being posed as an objected view.  And the speech style. 
  • Vladimir Propp -  is an russian Formalist, " The Morphology of the folk tale" examine how folk tale being transformed over time and by different people who was telling it.   Because there must be something changed due to the person who was telling it are different, there might be something missing, something being mistranslated, something being added up to... or using different words.  Retelling ---> Same---> Script.
Frankenstein in Contemporary Art World

     Questioning what this idea of assemblage and collage of different in contemporary art world. 
  • "Raising Frankenstein"was telling how curators combine different elements within CAT, and thus to generate the new meaning of it.
  • The notion of "Frankenstein Courses"
  • Working online (very common nowadays) the webpage itself is also has "frankenstein" element as there are different elements will appear on the same page as well. 



Folk Tale is also has the element of Frankenstein because it is like everyday resistance.
Most people think Frankenstein as a horrible figure/ and something horrible.
Propp---- > like everything we do (to be checked)

Methodology 

in terms of methodology, I can use retell/ examine the iconic figure as my method and to apply "folk devils and moral panics" and "Art & Fear" by Paul Vilrilio   

the spread of mouth/ hear-say.... 
  • "Art and outrageous" --- John. A. Walker : folk devil within art world such as Damien Hirst the pissed christ.  
-------> as artist build up their fame by offending people 


  • White elephant: nothing going on there.








  • A folk devil example by Neil
Occupy London as an example to see the different picture and approach from the sun and the Guardian. 

















Idea >> Creating a fake artist as a folk devil. 
  • Art&Fear " by Paul Virilio: as an allegory which apply this idea of Frankenstein a lot. 
  • we can examine artist who manipulate the body (the body as the site)
Turning harmless people to a harmful thing thus to create moral panic ----> being able to control people and manipulate people. 

In my opinion so far, I think the media is the scientist in Frankenstein who are shaping us into a monster they want and then accusing us that it is actually what we want, in doing this brain wash process, we are ending up generate different monsters and hybrid again and again. 

I also found out it is very interesting that it is always only by creating a fear/ or panic so that we will being able to act and gain public awareness. 

Neil brings up there is this notion within Nazi group the called has the notion of means of achieving happiness is to be physically fit and healthy.  This is also dealing with the notion of being pure and unpure. 

Similar example in Sweden would be Masculine christian, so most of them need to be very fit and pure. 

I also like to mention two films that I'm thinking of the engaging with 

  • Dogtooth by Giorgos Lanthimos
  • The Boss of it all by Lars Von Trier 
  • Idiots by Lars Von Trier
  • Baise Moi by  Virginie Despentes (not sure about it yet, but I m thinking this elements of experiencing twisting the whole conventional notion of female as a week role within the film. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Nov 8


My tutorial with Angela, 


Angela reminds me to be careful that to put all the blame on "media" and I should also try to see if other  factors is part of the reason to shape the contemporary art world as a monster which being created. 


In terms of methodology, my methodology also the literary references with in "folk devils and moral panics/ Frankenstein can be my resources.  


also take a look at why we have this idea of investing in stock market could be an risky investment however it is safe to invest on art works? and who is behind this? who is creating this ideology?


It might be helpful to create a visual outline map and to help me to linear my idea on pictures. 





No comments:

Post a Comment